Total Pageviews

Saturday 16 April 2011

Burn the bridge of your choosing.

Well things have been fairly peaceful- the patients I've seen are really complex usually but atraumatic. This is good for the patients and the workers here sine there's less stress for all parties but it sucks for me since that means that I'm spending most of my time with people that really should be with either their family physician or are heavily in internal medicine - and the way the system is setup in Mexico we haven't actually done rounds in internal medicine so we are at an incredible disadvantage when it comes to that.

However

That does mean that I can take the time to catch up so to speak. I also have a resident who is particularly anal about charting too which means once again I feel like an idiot since I'm so behind in the knowledge factor and she gets fairly annoyed at my ineptitude early on- but that's what it takes: you will always burn your first bridge, be it for the step, for any test or any skill. The trick is that if you know you're going to burn your first anything, to make sure that that is the first purpose.

When you start to learn how to play guitar you don't pick up a thousand dollar model. Your first car shouldn't be a mazzeratti (sp? I know nothing about cars, natch!). And your first rotation in a specialty or your first shift of any job will be incredibly inefficient while you learn where everything is at.

including the "drink ice chips" box.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment